Volunteering with Castlemaine Health is a rewarding way to be involved in your community. Our volunteers enjoy great personal satisfaction. Many gain valuable work experience. There is a wide variety of volunteer positions to choose from.
Castlemaine Health has around 120 registered volunteers. Our volunteers support staff in enhancing the quality of life for residents, patients and members of the community.
The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years. Reliability and commitment to regular involvement for a minimum of six months is essential. We offer ongoing training, support and social options. Criminal history checks are mandatory.
Volunteer in our residential units
- Provide one-to-one companionship, have a chat, share an interest, read, help with correspondence, do a crossword together, play cards or assist with computer skills.
- Join the ‘Life Story’ project. Use your interest in writing, listening and history to help older people tell their stories. Computer skills preferred.
- Involve yourself with a small group of people reading poetry, playing bingo, making a mural, singing together, cooking, gardening or other activities.
- Help people with their meals or some exercise.
- Entertain residents with your particular talents, be it magic, music, dance, singalongs, choirs.
- Share your well-behaved pooch with residents who enjoy the company of animals.
- Borrow library material from Castlemaine Library for residents with specific interests.
- Deliver light reading and magazines.
- Welcome new residents and help them adjust to their new home.
- Take the “Lolly” trolley to residents: personal care products, magazines and snacks.
Volunteer with people in our community
Our Adult Day Services team runs planned activity groups and respite services in the community. Clients include frail and older people, carers and adults living with a disability. Our volunteers help support the program and its clients through:
- art-based activities
- craft activities
- skill development
- board games
This service is supported by financial assistance from the Commonwealth and Victorian governments.
Volunteer at the hospital
Choose from a wide range of volunteer positions in the hospital:
- pastoral care – visits and services through local churches.
- administrative assistance – in various hospital departments
- surveying residents – conduct customer satisfaction surveys with residents.
- special projects – special projects relating to history, art, gardening and more
- committee membership – become part of the Community Consultative Committee, our Board of Management or a working party.
For more information please contact our Volunteer Program office on (03) 54713566. Or use our freepost box and write to REPLY PAID 4, PO BOX 50, Castlemaine, 3450.