Be involved in your community. Enjoy great personal satisfaction. Gain valuable work experience. Become a volunteer!
Castlemaine Health has around 120 registered volunteers. Our volunteers support staff in enhancing the quality of life for residents, patients and members of the community.
The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years. Reliability and commitment to regular involvement for a minimum of 6 months is essential. We offer ongoing training, support and social options. Criminal history checks are mandatory.
Volunteer in our residential units
- Provide one-to-one companionship, have a chat, share an interest, read, help with correspondence, do a crossword together, play cards or assist with computer skills.
- Join the ‘Life Story’ project. Use your interest in writing, listening and history to help older people tell their stories. Computer skills preferred.
- Involve yourself with a small group of people reading poetry, playing bingo, making a mural, singing together, cooking, gardening or other activities.
- Help people with their meals or some exercise.
- Entertain residents with your particular talents, be it magic, music, dance, singalongs, choirs.
- Share your well-behaved pooch with residents who enjoy the company of animals.
- Borrow library material from Castlemaine Library for residents with specific interests.
- Deliver light reading and magazines.
- Welcome new residents and help them adjust to their new home.
- Take the “Lolly” trolley to residents: personal care products, magazines and snacks.
Volunteer with people living in our community
- Alex Clubs and Respite Clubs
Assist program workers in Castlemaine and Harcourt with activities including art, craft, quizzes, board games, outings, conversation, companionship, exercises, meals and more. Clients include frail older people and carers.
- Out and Out Clubs
Evening fun social programs for adults with a disability. Assist with games, skills development, music, art and craft and outings.
This service is supported by financial assistance from the Commonwealth and Victorian governments.
Volunteer at the hospital
Choose from a wide range of roles in the hospital:
- Pastoral Care – visits and services through local churches.
- Administrative Assistance – in various hospital departments
- Surveying Residents – conduct customer satisfaction surveys with residents.
- Special projects – special projects relating to history, art, gardening and more.
- Committee memberships – become part of the Community Consultation Committee or be part of a focus group or working party.
For more information please contact our Volunteer Program office on (03) 54713566. Or use our freepost box and write to REPLY PAID 4, PO BOX 50, Castlemaine, 3450.